Rice still growing
Beginning in 2500 B.C. rice has been a source of food for people. Did you know that rice is the most important crop in the world?? For 3.3 billion people living in Asia, rice provides 35-80% of their total caloric intake. Today rice is grown in four different ecosystems: irrigated, rainfed lowland, upland, and flood-prone.
Brown rice has more nutritional vale than white rice. This is because the outer layer to the rice contains proteins and minerals.
Rice tidbits from Duke University:
- The word "rice" in Chinese also means "food".
- There are over 40,000 differenty types of rice.
- Rice is produced on every continent except for Antartica.
- When you cook rice, it weights 3 times its original weight.
- Around 90% of rice eaten was produced in that same area.
- 90% of rice is produced in Asia.
- People have been farming rice for over 10,000 years.
- Rice paper is not made from rice.